23 January 2014

DIY Satin Top

Although I aspire to be well-dressed most of the time, I don't quite reach that mark as often as I'd like. It's usually because a) things get messy and b) I get messy. While I  can't really say I have a 'style', I can say I'm getting pickier about the clothes I wear. Was it just me or did anyone else notice that the winter sales have more summery sleeveless clothes instead of winter wear? Maybe I'm just getting (c)old and cranky.
Anyway, my point is that sometimes, a girl just wants to look classy. But sometimes, desired classy clothes are kinda pricey. So why not risk a little bit of cash and time and make something nice to wear?

I started with a t-shirt with a simple design, since I decided to use satin (barely needs ironing, woohoo!!!). Folding the t-shirt in half, I laid it on paper to trace out the pattern. 
Please do not use your lens cap as a weight next time!



While tracing, I deviated slightly from the waist hem, since it's a just wee bit  *ahem* snug around me belly....
In retrospect, I should have gone out a bit more...

The pattern traced out:
Substitute lens cap with glow-in-the-dark fake pebbles...far cooler!
 Since the back and front of the top are similar, I made a copy of this pattern and slightly lowered the neckline...
dangerously low! not!
Yay! Pattern done! Now it's cutting time!
Love this colour palette :)
about an inch seam allowance....
get momentarily distracted mesmerized by cuff in the same colour scheme....coooool!
So once you've cut the front and back pieces, it's time to sew them together. I went with a french seam because i thought it'd be easier and neater...sort of...So place your 2 pieces right sides together and sew with an 1/8" seam.
go slow!

 Start with the 2 shoulder seams and then the 2 side seams...
 
Follow the (imaginary) yellow lines...

 







 After trimming the seam, turn the top wrong side out and sew a 1/4" seam along the same places 

a little wonky, but that's normal (for me)




After this, turn in the sleeve edges to a length you like and hem. Do the same with the waist hem and you're done! 
Anyone seen my champagne glass?




Now flaunt that top! Strike a pose! Bask in classy-ness (?) to heart's delight!

Cheerio!


No comments:

Post a Comment